Loaded + Baked Sweet Potato
I often call this my 'Friday Night Special'. It takes just a tiny bit of prep and you can get the kids to help with prepping all the rest of the ingredients. The best part is that this is a great sensory experience and encourages autonomy, all while enjoying a healthy meal!
4 small sweet potatoes.
Extra virgin olive oil.
1 small red onion, diced.
2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained.
2 garlic cloves, minced.
1 teaspoon cumin, ground.
1 teaspoon coriander, ground.
2 cobs corn, kernels sliced off.
1 large capsicum, diced.
1 small avocado, diced or mashed with a squeeze of lime juice
1 cup coriander, fresh, leaves picked.
200 g sour cream or plain greek yoghurt
Grated Cheese (optional)
1. Preheat a fan-forced oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
2. Prick potatoes with a fork a few times and pop into a large baking dish. Place into the oven and cook for 50 minutes until skin is crispy.
3. While the potatoes are baking. Add a drizzle of olive oil and onion to a large frypan over medium heat. Cook for 5 minutes until onion softens. Add in beans, corn, capsicum, garlic, cumin and coriander and cook for 1 minute until everything is heated through and coated.
4. Set your table with the beans, avocado, limes, herbs, sour cream and cheese. Add anything else you or the family might enjoy.
5. Remove potatoes from the oven and slice each one open. Pry open the potato a little and serve.
6. Make sure the potatoes aren't too hot and allow everyone to make their own loaded sweet potato.